A few notes from the San Diego PremierePro Users Group Meeting on 15 July 2020 on PremierePro Production Panel. Karl Soule from Adobe. Karl has been part of the Premiere and video apps team for a long time, and currently works in Hollywood helping filmmakers using Premiere Pro.
“Productions provides a flexible and highly scalable framework for organizing projects, sharing assets between them, and keeping everything streamlined, whether you’re working on your own or collaborating with a team.”Van Bedient, https://theblog.adobe.com/introducing-productions-in-premiere-pro/ (14Apr2020)
Adobe found that multiple projects open at one time, premiere was auto copying files = not always needed Have option to take sequence and then link back to other project
Deadpool had something like 750k items in their bins.
- Each episode has its own project
- Can go into other episodes to get sequences
- Avoids messy duplications, and huge projects
PremerePro Production Panel Features
PremierePro Production Panel
- Media organized by day it was shot
- Items on timeline no longer have to live in the same project on the timeline
- KS’ setup more for multiple editors working at once (one editing, another downloading footage, organizing,…)
It’s a Designated Folder on the Finder Level
- Productions changes name of clip/project on drive
- Has locking mechanism so only one editor can be changing a file at a time (Dropbox not recommended because of the delay over syncing service)
- First person has read/write access, anyone afterwards has read only access (see, copy only)
- Common place for settings
- Items that are locked have a red padlock icon in Production Panel, and next to each project. There is also a name listed next to it in the Production Panel.
Really good documentation on how Productions work http://bit.ly/PremiereProductions
Possible Setup for All Remote Editors
- B Bop Technologies – manage virtualization solution (shared storage, workstations) your machine takes over a machine at another location. Runs productions. Group of editors can be working on different machines at home, connects to BBT (use your own Adobe login) but use remote systems (a lot of broadcasters in his area have been using this)
- Lucid Link – put production and media in centralized location (more experimental)
- Going from 16:9 to portrait (Quibi) for example
- Right click on project, click on Auto Reframe Sequence
- Give new name and a target ratio
- Adobe magic – PP determines relevant content and reframes content
- If select clip, can hit ‘Analyze’ to re-analyze a clip (ex. edited AE file)
TIP: To control where graphics go when changing ratios use the Responsive Design section under Essential Graphics
Scene Edit Detection (Beta Version)
Right click on a finished clip. Select Scene Edit Detection. It will automatically detect the cuts and gives a series of pre-cut clips.
O’Connell Design is a consultancy offering creative services in Animation, Motion Graphics, Cinematics, and Visual Effects for film and television.